Saturday, June 18, 2011

Illustration 3 - WTC Tombraiders

[EDIT: August 16, 2011. Did a complete "paint over" of this painting. To see go here: http://monisawa.blogspot.com/2011/08/end-of-summerand-webpage-update.html


[edit: 11:oo pm june 18. made some adjustments to painting.]


I'm not exactly sure if it is done...but I am highly HIGHLY satisfied with the result.

I plan to do a "process" post on this illustration...in fact I was going to do it right now, but I spent 1-1/2 hours longer than I intended. X_x sigh. So I need to go do family things now. haha So plan on seeing that in the future. Also if anyone has any feedback, I would appreciate it!


Quick impression of what I learned:

1. The pencil sketch made a world of difference for a foundation. (This was Pencil sketch #2) Though sometimes I also enjoy just going with the flow based off a loose sketch.
2.Let go of the sketch. When I made the sketch I thought it was perfect, so painting over it and keeping what it was seemed impossible, so just let it go and let the painting evolve into its own thing.
3.My greatest weakness right now is color...and I feel that when I control it at all times I have the greatest success. In times past I would use the Auto contrast feature to fix all my problems, and the jump from what I was doing to what it ended up was so extreme I no longer had control. So this time I used the auto contrast feature only in small leaps....and made my greatest changes manually.


4 comments:

  1. I like it Mike, i could see it on a box cover or something for a card game. i like your color pallet on this I think it pretty harmonious. you might thing about pushing the atmospheric perspective on the steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeff! I appreciate the feedback and comments. I have made some adjustments to the picture and re-uploaded it in place of the old image addressing your concern and many others I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really like it mike it turned out great i like the atmosphere and the lighting you went with

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!(Its been awhile since I've seen/talked withyou) Thanks Joe!

    ReplyDelete