Tuesday, June 21, 2011

IF- Launch ~3 hour illustration


With the recent progression of my illustrations I felt my process was too slow and clunky....especially involving COLOR. So last night I scripted up illustration process and today I enacted my evil plan:

  • concept
  • thumbnails
  • final sketch
  • scan
  • "marker" outline pencil drawing
  • Do several color comps on the value pencil drawing
  • Finalize colors (simplify)
  • Build pallette of colors. (3 values for each color: light, local color, dark)
  • Paint
  • Finilize painting.

None of the process is exceptionally special or secret...it is just what speaks to me best!


I did this illustration in 3 hours, actually less than 3. It is not meant to be perfect and/or complete...more of a test to see how close I could get something done with this method while still looking professional in 3 hours.


Part of my new process was to FURTHER control color by having a limited palette. This method really really worked for me.

Anyway off I got to WATCH Miyazaki's new MOVIE! The last time was Ponyo and that came out about the same time I started this blog. Its been awhile... I most likely will do a post on my thoughts.

note: I left the illustration large so you can see the texture and painter quality I have been working towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment