Sunday, February 05, 2012

PBM day 5 : Underwater

"Underwater" Cover Pencil Sketch.
Picture Book Marathon (PBM) day 5.
2012 Graphite.
Plot: This is a semi-nonfiction story of discovery. "What wonderful discoveries lay beneath the surface of the rolling ocean? Come and let's explore together!" I've always been fascinated with the power, majesty and mystery surrounding the ocean...and I think it would be fun to do a book about it.

Obviously I miraculously found some time to crank out a children's book idea for Sunday...which if Blogger does its job by posting it on Sunday, I will be completely happy (I scheduled it to post at 8am). As you can tell this is another picture book idea that is only a sketch. I hope to color/finalize it in the next week or so.

As a side note I'm really enjoying this exercise as it gives me the opportunity to see "the big picture." Far too often I come up with a good idea for an illustration and then spend days or weeks completing it. This Marathon has been allowing me to create many "illustrations" that look semi complete, which forces me to constantly think about design, color and value structure, without having to invest dozens and dozens hours on a finished product.

2 comments:

  1. I stumbled on your blog by looking for techniques used for the backgrounds in the Miyazaki movies. You wrote that they use posterpaints, so I immediately went to the shop to buy some :) Anyway, I then looked further into your blog and you've got some seriously nice artwork! I'll follow you to see what else you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Thanks for your comments and for following my blog!

    I'm also glad my Kazuo Oga post proved useful... his work is very inspiring. if someone reminds me in a month or so, I will do a follow up post (been meaning to for awhile now).

    ReplyDelete