Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Illustration 2 - Veteran's club



I was asked by the Veteran's Club at MCC Longview to make a poster that would promote their existence and purpose. They wanted a poster that was similar to the old WW II posters. They also wanted the poster to have vibrant colors. Eventually I will include text around the figure (hence the huge open space around uncle sam).


Well that is that! I've finally found what I have been looking for. A style and technique that not only looks "finished", but leaves infinite possibilities and personal interest for future illustrations.

I think the first key is that I need to work on smaller/simpler illustrations first...before I tackle on the epic subjects (hence my first summer illustration...which has great modeling, but it is very clunky.)

The second key is working the illustration as if it was an acrylic painting. (see Greg newbolds post 1, post 2 for a visual...which btw I won a book from him this past week in honor of his blog being online a year!) I spent most of my time looking for the answer in digital artists. My big break came when I started looking more earnestly in traditional media and applying their approach in photoshop. I spent most of my time studying and doing masterstudies in acrylic illustrations, and oil paintings ranging from the mid 1800's to the early 1900's (might post some of em later if requested).

In regards to uncle sam I built a Maquette out of Super Sculpey. I based it off several of the posters I found online and my own exaggerations. The maquette was nice for visual and shading purposes, but it was not the end of all ends. I allowed the illustration and character to evolve as the illustration progressed.


Detail of illustration at 50% of actual size:

No comments:

Post a Comment