Friday, September 23, 2011

Final Semester - Illustration: Creatures of the night

I started and completed this illustration last night. I made it for the ChildrensIllustrator monthly topic, "Night Creatures."

It was mostly that I wanted to retry 'greyscale to color' based on a tutorial from Rokoroko: Link here, but partly because who ISN'T enticed by the topic "Night creatures"?
The key differences from my old 'greyscale to color' methods was:
1.Using a brush to paint the unwanted color OUT/AWAY with a mask.

2. Utilizing the blend mode "soft light."

Everything else I did for this illustration was from my own methods.

I have also been looking for a way to simplify my illustration process and make it shorter/more profitable. My current method(s) continued to get complicated and I found myself becoming bored...since the complex route was NOT the direction I wanted to head. Not only that but my characters were becoming increasingly stiff and lifeless (I was overworking them).

So as a result, I discovered last night that this process guarantees absolute control, and a solid, animated illustration. I'm excited to explore further to see how exclusive this method is/isn't based upon other situations (daytime, complex colored backgrounds, etc.) I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment