Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pencil Illustration - GRIMM fairy tale (W.I.P.)

0.9 mm lead on 11x14 bristol board.
Once again ArtOrder (link: art order) is hosting a contest that I feel I can relate to. The topic is the nitty gritty original GRIMM fairy tales. Since I didn't want to do the cliche thing and use a story that has been overdone I had my wife point out her favorite in her Grimm anthology. My favorite story was "King Thrushbeard." I will tell more as the week progresses....but essentially a king invites many suitors over to his palace for his daughter. She laughs and mocks every single one. In frustration her father vows that he will marry her off to the first beggar who comes to the castle...it ends up being a bard. haha Imagine his surprise. Well I wont spoil the rest of the story till later. enjoy the illustration!

Well unlike my series of 5 sketch illustrations I did a few weeks ago, I knew this one was going to be made in color so I was pretty relaxed knowing that I would edit it in photoshop. Regardless of that, this IS one of the most complex pencil illustrations I've done yet...haha and I plan to do the "Limited palette method on this as well. The only catch is...there is going to be ALOT of colors...and I need to have it done in 5 days? Oh boy....haha!

I am open to suggestions and ALL feedback. ASAP.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike~
    I'm giving you feed back because you asked :)

    I had to look at it for a minute~ It is a great piece...
    Just a couple of thoughts... I am being critical cuz really it looks good.
    1. The cat and the lady's arm are to close together/ its hard to see the lady's arm with the cat being thrown??? So I would clarify that.

    2. The other thing is the statue on the left side by the above the wall. It is great and I love all the details... I'm just wondering if you should have it on the other side of the wall also?? or maybe take it out all together? Just so it has some balance? Not sure if you want to do that cuz it might work great but those are some thoughts.


    Hope that helps... Can't wait to see the final!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, thank you for the feedback! I ALWAYS appreciate feedback. Hope I can get this project and a poster design I was requested to do for some Longview classes done by the end of the week. haha

    ReplyDelete