Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Digital Illustration Class- Artist copy #4-part 2

My version compared to the original:


Artist: Masamune Shirow
Year: 1988
Source: Appleseed Databook (or anywhere on the internet).
Day 2 process:
  1. Well after completing the sketch and inking it (as described in my previous post) I prepare it for a typical watercolor-isk painting by taping it to a board. Pulling out my oil paints I begin from the back character and move forward. The effect I want from the oil paint is achieved by mixing the colors beforehand thickly, dab the paint-brush in and then with light tap it in the water, blast the paint down on the page. It also works to just put a thick dab of paint on the page and then dip the brush in water and go over it.
  2. Well...my painting process didn't exactly work the way I wanted so I scanned it in after I got paint everywhere that needed (not caring so much about the colors at this point.) Thankfully I had also scanned my lines in yesterday at highquality so I put that in my same file, and line them up.
  3. I duplicated the color painting, set it on desaturated.
  4. make 2 new layers. One set on overlay (for the lighting parts) and the other set on Multiply (for the darkening.) Even with the blend settings on I was careful to apply the paint conservatively due to concerns of causing the painted texture to go away. I am just trying to get the value reestablished at this point.. Eventually I merge them with the desaturated layer, and cut out the background utilizing the wand and lasso (Note: I am not deleting the background, rather keeping it for later texture purposes)
  5. Work on the background to establish the mood. Turn the texture background(I cut out earlier) on a blending mode which fits. I found that in order to stimulate a real looking airbrush, I turned off the size-pressure option and turned the opacity onto pressure, then I clicked on the noise option.
  6. Next I made a new layer for my color flats. I basically block in large sections of color. Next I duplicated the desaturated layer, select one of the block of colorswith the wand, click on the desaturated layer, go to Hue/saturation menu, hit the colorize option and then adjust the color to where I need. Then after I got the general colors settled in I go over the top of them on new layers with the random colors, and also adjusting the existing colors more.
  7. Made a new layer over the linework and colors, add the accent whites and other needed colors/effects.
  8. Put a mask on the lines and deaden them ups a little to make them look as if they were painted.
I'm sure that more occurred, but this is all I can remember right now. I am going to put this one on the server tonight, and anyone is welcome to look at it to see more of what I did (or didn't do...haha)


Problems:

  • Like many Japanese artists I noticed that Masamune is very economical with his brush strokes...I am not that good, nor am I familiar with oil washes, so I did the painting did not turn out as I hoped. For my original illustration that I am doing I think I will do as Mr. Babcock suggested, and as I have done with my 100% digital paintings, namely do just a value study traditional, and then scan it in and color it on the computer.
What I wanted to learn:
  • My problem is I want to learn as much as I can about all artists , and their methods I focus on. When I selected pictures for this class I focused on a broad range of styles, and my favorite pictures from them. So I wanted to learn the style first and foremost.
  • I really like the way he uses his line-work. It is very controlled and amazing.
  • I liked the rustic gristly painted look his illustrations have, especially the machinery.
What's strange (ive been noticing as I do mastercopies) is that you build a deeper appreciation and love for the artist and thier work...and the artwork just comes alive! Wow. One more to go...but until then on to my original illustration. 0_O

2 comments:

  1. Your textures on this piece turned out awesome! I'll have to look at your file to see your layers. I am curious to see the scanned oil/water painting.
    Learning from copying is not strange at all. We look at things a lot better and see details that we don't see unless we copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like you really put a lot of time into this and it shows. Turned out great! I'm excited to see what you do for your original.

    ReplyDelete