Monday, May 24, 2010

Digital Illustration QUESTION!!! (anyone please help!)

Obviously there is a lot of rules being utilized in nature, but in regards to one, two, or three point perspective is there a short-hand version I don't know about?

First of all, I've been discovering that artists utilize an OFF-SCREEN vanishing point, where if drawn, would be 3 feet away from the actual boundaries of the picture. This also occurs in close-encounter situations of our naturally boxed-in world (for example in a single bedroom). Without breaking the 18x24” sketch-paper out just to draw a 4x6” picture, I really cannot contain (depending on the circumstances) both vanishing points.

Second of all, I am not very patient when it comes to NITTY-GRITTY perspective and rules. In fact this past semester I have been exploring somewhat organic shapes so that I could avoid them altogether. I have heard that practicing drawing boxes, helps the understanding of shorthand perspective, and it has helped my overall understanding, but is there something more practical,quicker,easier?


Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's what you're looking for or not, but we did a digital perspective grid in illustrator back in our first illustration class. It is shown in a video with Carl Dobsky and I know Mike F. still has the grid up on his blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it on my blog. It was a very long and drawn out video... It was really good, but very technical. You can try to look it up on my blog. You can also contact Mrs. Willy she has the video so maybe she could share???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grid or not, follow the rules of convergence and eye level/horizon line.
    I will see if I can find the grid mentioned.

    ReplyDelete