Thursday, May 13, 2010

Digital Illustration Class-Original 1

The topic of this picture is, "FEARLESS." Every week i will be making my original illustration based on the weekly topic posted on, "Illustration Friday."

Well here it is. The blockprint I always wish I could've done in printmaking. Not only did I not have to worry about cutting myself, but I didn't have to worry about messing up the print part. Not only that, but I got to cheat and see what my print was going to look like before I would have to consider trying...in fact as I was going.

Process:
  1. Make a physical sketch...
  2. Scan and sketch over it on a new layer.
  3. Sketch several more times making corrections and adjustments
  4. Do a new layer and make a value study.
  5. make a black layer and put a Layer ask on it.
  6. Put the final linework and value study at about 35% opacity.
  7. Carve away at the black until done.
  8. Add color on a new layer underneath the black layer. (multiply is not needed)
  9. Add cheap texture. put on mutliply
  10. Add noise layer (as instructed by Mr. Babcock.)
  11. Take the color layer opacity down to 80%.
  12. Add a couple Hue/Saturation adjustment layers to fix the background.
  13. Add another layer to put in final adjustments on color.
  14. Done.
One of the hardest tricks was letting the black and the simple colors define the characters and set the picture's depth...this was difficult and I struggled with it.

I will upload the actual .PSD on the server tonight, and everyone is welcome to look at it. Regardless please give me comments, critiques...etc.
Thanks

12 comments:

  1. Looks very good Mike! I think you got the style of relief printmaking down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Mike!!! I love seeing your stuff... Looking forward to more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree it dose look like a relief print. great job. i even feel that it has a illustrative charm that looks quite professional. It happens to be my favorite piece you have done so far and would recommend you showing it to Lynch next semester and to see what he thinks about. HE might recommend it as a portfolio piece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! you have lots of fans. looks great. Try taking down the noise just a little in the color areas and try a separate noise layer that will affect only the blacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also wondering what you can do to make the background recede more. Thinner lines, lighter values, hue and saturation shift?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jacob- thanks for the comments. I appreciate them. I don't know if this matters or not, but I am much more confident working small scale than Lynch's minimum 14"x14". Haha

    Mr. Babcock- Regarding the noise, that crossed my mind after I spent some time away from the picture. Thanks for pointing it out. Also regarding the separate layer of noise for the black that is a very good idea! Thanks. Regarding the receding background, I tried multiple things, and in light of your suggestions, I feel that I should work to get the lines to go thinner. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great piece Mike, I agree with Jacob, I think Lynch will really like this too. I love seeing digital work that really successfully imitates work from entirely different processes, and this does that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't worry too much about what Lynch likes.
    I have posted a version of the things I was talking about on this piece on my blog. Regarding separation of foreground and background.

    ReplyDelete