Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Digital Illustration Class- Artist copy #1.

Original

My version


  1. Create Layer 1. Fill with black
  2. Create Layer 2. Put at 15% opacity. Sketch basic shapes with white.
  3. Create Layer 3. Begin to carve away with white. Go back and forth with eraser and white.
  4. Create Layer 4. Reestablish lines and correct proportions.
  5. Finish Layer 3.
  6. Create Layber 6. Put it under multiply. Sloop colors in utilizing the HSB slider (not the color picker) make sure to constantly compare and change as needed.
  7. Tighten up colors on Layer 5. Fit them in their boundary lines.
  8. Add layer 6, put it on Multiply. Add a cheap paper texture*
  9. Done.
*http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmod/419640051/sizes/l/
  • My Thoughts/intents: Obviously the original picture was made using BlockPrint methods, but I decided to achieve the basic result in photoshop. I was not trying to attempt a perfect replication, I was focusing on the overall aesthetics of the picture (how it pulls itself together) and how the artist used black.
  • The technique: Initially the simple, vibrant colored shapes caught my eyes, but in the end it was the incredible/dynamic use of black which caused me to focus on this picture. What I wished to understand was how the artists utilized the carved away technique, leaving some lines intentionally as noise, others as solid shapes, others as value, and others as line.
I will be posting my Illustration based on this master-study later this week.

P.S. Thanks Mr. Babcock for telling about the “Tip Feel” “FIRM” option for the wacom. Geez, I've been giving myself hand-cramps and headaches trying to force those 'blobby' lines to behave.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice Mike! Looks like you paid very good attention to detail. Didn't know you were taking this class too! I'll need to watch your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    Great job! Great Post!
    A couple of thoughts. 1) Erasers are scary! Learn how to use and love the layer mask! The non-destructive process of a layer mask is far superior. In this particular piece is wasn't crucial; but it will be with others. 2) Texture. The paper use was a great idea. You could still use another texture layer to improve the grain of the image. An overal film gain type of layer can help to break up all of the flat color areas. 3) Saturation. If you put all of your color under an adjustment layer where you mess with the saturation it allows you to paint with local color and then adjust it to a more sophisticated palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike- yah, I'm taking this class. ^_^ My real surprise was to find out that YOU were still taking it. Last I heard you had dropped it for Drawing iii...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Babcock,

    Why are erasers bad and how are they destructive? Also, I've heard of masks, and just a few weeks ago saw the 'layer mask' you refer to used, but I am not sure how you intend me to use it. I usually suffice with multiple layers and quick select...

    Regarding 3) I think I understand what you were meaning here, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe a quick/simple demo would help...

    Finally, do you want us to post our completed .psd file on the FTP grindstead server...and all our completed files?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some good questions. I was wondering about the FTP server also. On another note. As far as the eraser is concered, Mr Babcock taught me well when I had his other class. The eraser is harder to go back into and fix mistakes because your "history" file becomes over loaded with every stroke you make. If you use a mask it is much cleaner and your "history" file does not become over loaded - if you have to go back and find where you were. Mask are better. I do not know much about Photoshop, but I did learn that. Hopefully that helps?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tifani, I actually emailed my questions first to Mr. Babock, this was his answer about the FTP:

    "On the FTP server: Yes. This also helps during your process. You can put a full-size .psd file on the server and I can look at it and talk with you about specific adjustments to the file."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh Great thanks Mike! I will figure that out!

    ReplyDelete