Friday, February 07, 2014

ShinHan Poster Paint - Part 1 (of 3) "The Journey."

"A Small House"
2014. Poster Paint
Sorry for my absence on here. I've been pretty busy!  The most obvious thing is what this post is about! The others: (Started a webcomic in January called,"A Day in the Life") (I am in the process of COMPLETELY remodeling my kitchen) (I am also gearing up to finish my halloween special, "Bubbling Brew")  (Other of life's etc)... Anyway, now onto the MAIN event.


ShinHan Poster Paint - Part 1 (of 3) "The Journey." 


GHIBLI USES POSTER PAINTS
Awhile back, I made a post  about how Ghibli, a famous animation company in Japan, uses Poster Paints to do their background art. At the time I thought, "The stuff you paint on windows, or smear your hands in...is a fine-art tool?" This confusion led to curiosity and I set out to buy the nicest set of poster paints I could find.  This I discovered was harder than I realized and I found myself spending a measly $9 for a set that looked like crap.  Once I got it home,  I discovered that sure enough, they were crap.

POSTER PAINTS FLAMMABLE?
Doing a little more research, I found out that the quality of poster paints used by Ghibli, was not available in the U.S.  I also found that I could not purchase them online, for example I found the same brand Ghibli uses (Nicker Poster Colour) on Amazon Japan, but they would not ship it overseaas due to something about, "flammable contents."(I'm still not sure how a water-based medium was flammable...) I desperately wanted to use the tools of the trade used by the masters I so admired, but I was at a dead end.

KAZUO OGA USES POSTER PAINT
Using what I had available in the U.S. (Acrylics, watercolor, Gouache, etc ) I attempted to emulate, Kazuo Oga's work (see some examples of his work below), but only Gouache came close, and I found it frustrating to use (which is strange because I love watercolor).  

Kazuo Oga is the lead background painter
 for many of Ghibli movies, and especially famous 
for his work on Hayao Miyazaki's, "My Neighbor Totoro."

FIRST EXPERIENCE USING PRO POSTER PAINT
This is where Maho, a great friend of mine, stepped in by sending a mysterious package in the mail. Part of it was an amazing hand drawn card, celebrating the birth of my first son, and the other was an actual set of Nicker Poster colours!  I immediately broke the paints out and began to paint.  They were like nothing I had ever used before. At the time I stated the they have a, "creamy flow and coverage, which seems like a mixture between acrylic and goache."  I really enjoyed them, but since they were rare to come by, and the set was so small, I dared not use them often, or get too hopelessly attached.

SHINHAN ART AND PRO POSTER PAINT IN U.S.
Fast forward to 2014, when I received an unexpected email from the President of the U.S. branch of Shinhan Art (http://www.shinhanart.co.kr/)!  In the email, he quickly explained that he found my blog post about Poster Paint and that his company was expanding their current selection of art tools to include professional grade poster paint! I couldn't believe it.  Not only that, but he was willing to send some samples!

FREE SAMPLES=CREATE ARTWORK
We then set up a time to talk on the phone, he called, and after a very cordial conversation...and a few days later...I found a full set of Artist grade Poster colours on my doorstep!!!  Of course I didn't exactly get them for free, my part of the deal was that I HAD to use them and create ARTWORK that I would share.   Um...using poster paint...and creating artwork and sharing it...sounds like a WIN, WIN, in my book!

So for today's post, and many in the future (until I run out of paint), I am highlighting POSTER PAINT / POSTER COLOUR as a FINE ART TOOL!!!!


Next time: "

6 comments:

  1. I totally want to buy some Nickel Poster paint. I love anime Background especially Studio Ghibli’s.
    I could only find the paint sold in a few places and it was waaay too expensive. I like gouache but it is not very forgiving and most of my gouache from art school is all dried up.

    I tried casein paint and it is pretty cool. I want to eventually try to do some background studies to see if I can get close to the poster paint flow.

    That is so cool that they sent you free samples!! I know they have watercolors but I haven’t tried any yet. I didn’t know they had artist grade poster paint too. I got to put that on the list to try.

    I love your house painting! It came out really vivid. It’s beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gouache is actually very forgiving, and that dried up gouache from school will still reactivate with water. It may be that you just don't know how to use gouache properly.

      Delete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by! Yah, Nicker is pretty nice, though I can't tell the difference between Shinhan. They are both high quality. Regarding Casein, I am quite curious to try this myself. I've seen the last few posts you've done using it and they are very vibrant and amazing! Make sure to post, your masterstudies on your blog!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicker is ten times better, lmao. Paint more and you'll be able to tell the difference.

      Delete
  3. You said that they were expanding their selection to include the Poster Colors, does this mean they will be selling them to us in the US? That would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazon now sells them: https://www.amazon.com/Knicker-poster-color-bottle-japan/dp/B001G7PDD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492371769&sr=8-1&keywords=nicker+poster+color

    ReplyDelete