Friday, June 29, 2012

CATastrophic Flight!

CATastrophic Flight. 2012 Digital and Graphite.

It's times like these, I am glad to be an illustrator. It's times like these, that make all the struggles worth it! In my oppinion, this is what illustration is all about...illustrations like this one. It was very REFRESHing.

For this painting I did a few things different...
Draw/Erase type 2*: Memory Impressions. Basically you find a piece of the drawing that bothers you, erase it completely, while remembering how it looked and where the lines were located, then you draw your impression of how it SHOULD look. Repeat 100 times.
Draw/Erase type 2 relies heavily on a 
basic/rough thumbnail...
otherwise you might lose yourself 
by not seeing the forest
through the trees.
Color: Painted directly with color instead of greyscale-to-color. I made a light(almost pastelic) color base (exploring options for color) then photoshop modify colors. Then go in and start painting. At first paint behind the lines(painting for real)...once the colors and shadows and everything else is pretty comitted, start painting over lines.

Brush: my cream brush was set on 100% flow instead of 10-15%. honestly I think I prefer it at 100....

*Draw/Erase type 1: Vague Impresssions. .I draw something generally and as I get more and more specific I occasionally and carefully erase ALL of the cold hard LINES in order to make them general again.

2 comments:

  1. That interesting it reminds me of a technique we did in at grad school where just by a series of repittious drawings the image evolves. Nice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comments Jeff! You might also find my most recent post interesting...

    ReplyDelete