Saturday, May 05, 2012

Urban Wilderness painting + Makoto Shinkai movie

"Urban Wilderness" Digital. 2012.
Well the first week of my new job was great.  Though it's been rather relaxing, I am gearing up for next week when the real training starts.

Regarding the painting above...I wanted to do a detailed painting from greyscale to color (Using the blending mode "soft light") of large masses of organic shapes and objects  in nature. I've succseffully been able to paint solid and defined shapes, but nature in particular up close can get pretty crazy.  I think I was successful.  For me the key was to approach it almost like a fine-art painting where I patiently/relaxed worked on it day to day and just plan to spend x amount of time.  I'm really liking the creamy texture of paint that I am slowly developing. (Finished this in the space of less than 1 week.)

The painting above was also inspired by a movie that I watched a week ago: "Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below."  Throughout the entire movie the backgrounds were filled with stunning detail, while obviously painted on the computer. I love Ghibli backgrounds (especially Kazuo Oga), but they seem so impossible to achieve! I wanted to attempt a background like in Makoto Shinkai's movie.



Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below.  Director Makoto Shinkai has quickly taken center stage in my heart...right next to Hayao Miyazaki.  I would highly recomend this movie to anyone (Though for some violent content and scary scenes, I would suggest limiting children under the age of 12).  It is not available in the U.S. yet, it is something to look forward to.  The colors were raw, the story was deep, the animation solid, the characters likable and relatable.  Beautiful backgrounds that are stunning, while characters pass through them without a second thought. Shadows...I can't even begin to talk about the shadows characters moved through. It is a bold attempt in animation to do what they did.

"Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below"
Movie poster
I had actually never heard of this movie until I stumbled upon the poster above.  After watching the trailer I was impressed.  I then watched the movie from beginning to end. I found myself captivated at first by the backgrounds, but then began to be fixated and unmovable as the plot grew complex and the story began to unfold.

The sheer depth of each scene and level of detail and the awness of life that embued itself in every second.

Makoto's intent was to help people, lift them, and give them the ability to make it through a difficult time.

I felt myself rooted in my seat and holding my breath for the space of two hours...

Here is the trailer:


Here is a short movie the director made for fun (cute cats!):

1 comment:

  1. I agree that movie was amazing! It really reminded me of the first time I saw a ghibli movie. It was enchanting, beautifull! Anyway amazing drawing! I could stare at it for hours with all that detail!

    ReplyDelete