Friday, February 11, 2011

Illustration update- Hayao Miyazaki spree




For my illustration class we were asked to use a celebrity, as long as they weren't obscure, and not only do a portrait of them but create background elements that would further identify the individual. The illustration was to be used in a hypothetical non-descript typical U.S. entertainment magazine. Naturally I thought of Hayao Miyazaki, but since I wanted to avoid the "fan-art" syndrome and addressing any of Miyazaki's work with a picture is beyond daunting...I wasn't sure. Well after batting around some other ideas (Jackie Chan, Julie Andrews...etc) I "manned-up" and settled on Miyazaki. Honestly...if you can believe it...my teacher thought Hayao Miyazaki was OBSCURE!!!! I had to convince him Miyazaki wasn't.

This illustration literally portrays every movie he has ever directed (except 1. Can you name it?) and several side TV series (I'm sorry Future Boy Conan! You didn't make it in.) In my opinion only a true Miyazaki fan could name all the characters in this illustration and the movies/shows they are associated with.

Here is the hypothetical layout I designed the illustration for. The magazine centerfold cuts the front of the bus away from the back 3/4's.


Now to start my new illustration...the topic relates to my new hypothetical client (US veterans service). Make a poster that addresses the availability for PTSD treatment(Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)... Oh boy. What a contrast to Hayao Miyazaki. ^_^

1 comment: