Saturday, April 10, 2010

MCMA 2009 Awards

So my wife and I just attended an awards ceremony held for all Missouri newspaper and yearbooks. Since I did the comics for MCC Longview's 'the current' for all of 2009, I won several awards:

2nd place (story illustration - Division 4)
I honestly was not expecting this to be part of the awards... 0_O haha! The article was written as a joke, and was purely ridiculous, but funny. When they called my name I was like, "Are you for REAL?" haha!

3rd place (entertainment Cartoon - Division 4)
I wasn't expecting this one to one...I had some others in mind, but whatever. ^_^

3rd Place (Editorial Cartoon - Division 4)
Honestly I was expecting this one to win. I knew as long as it was entered it would win, and it did. I really liked it, and especially how it turned out! ^_^


For 2008 I won first place with these comics:

1st place Entertainment
1st place Editorial Cartoon

Looking back at my older comics they had much more heart. Honestly I was a bit disapointed, since last year I won first place in both sections and this year I didn't, however this gives me time to reflect on my mentods and content. Since I am an illustrator, all last year I put the highest presidence to the art, and the content came second...I think that was where my mistake lay. This fall I hope to participate in UCM's newspaper, 'the muleskinner' and will up my content and art because the college is a Division 1, where more is expected of me. My biggest focus, however, will be to turn back to my older roots by cutting out all distractions (color, elaborate formats, crazy dialogue, etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment